[Olympus] remaining program

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Thu Dec 20 08:14:28 EST 2012

Dear all,

we have collected 3.2 fb^-1 so far, almost close to the design
luminosity.

For the 12-day addendum we should make a plan for a set of additional
measurements that could be helpful for the analysis.

Here is my proposal for low-luminosity running:
-run all four configs (e+-,B+-) without shielding but with the intensity
reduced to optimze the noise, each for a day.
E.g. reduce lumi by x10, expect ~3Hz elastics = 250k elastic events per
day -> 20 mA current / 0.2 sccm flow;
vary the magnetic field (100%, 75%, 50%, 25%) every six hours.
Open up the trigger by reducing the prescale on the 3-of-4 trigger type
to max out the DAQ (<30-40% deadtime).

This would cost us four days of running.
A data set with minimized noise can help us train and optimize the
reconstruction software, rather than using "noisy" high-luminosity data.

A dataset with minimized moise in all four configs will show how the
cancelations in the ratio occur and will help us validate the MC. Varying
the magnetic field in addition will serve the same purpose. The statistics
will be good enough for the validation at forward angles, where also the
systematic effects on the single-polarity ratio were the largest.
In the end we will need to be able to trust the MC for B+ at low epsilon.

At low luminosity, a trigger which is more more open also allows to verify
TOF and trigger efficiencies, and to break any inefficiencies further down
as a function of channels, coordinates etc.

We should start producing that set of measurements beginning on Saturday,
so that it could be finished by Wednesday. If it takes longer we still
have a few days left. Any final remaining days would be used to further
improve the statistics.
Frank Brinker also would like to do another Touchek energy measurement,
probably on Dec 31 / Jan 1.

If you have further ideas or wishes, please bring them up.

Best regards
   Michael