[Olympus] Activities next year

Uwe Schneekloth uwe.schneekloth at desy.de
Tue Dec 4 10:00:28 EST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Unfortunately, we have to start some planning of the activities next year.

A first rough proposal is:

After end of data taking

- Detector stays as it is. No parts are removed.

- Check for possible activation of beam line components by D3

- Cosmics run without field                ~1 month, until end of January

- Remove upstream lead wall           ~2d,    early Feb.

-  Complete optical survey   (target chamber, 12 deg lumi, Moller, wire chambers
   and coils as much as possible)      ~ 1 week,  Feb.

- Remove concrete ceiling                    1 d

- Remove sub-detector frames            1 - 2 d

- Optical survey of 12 deg lumi and WC wrt  sub-detector frames

- Field measurements

Start disassembly of detector              March

Some questions and comments:

Should the WC and 12 deg lumi cables be  cut or removed carefully?
It might be better to cut the cables a few meters from the detector in order
not to change the weight and possibly the position wrt  the sub-detector
frame before the internal survey.

What field measurements do we need? The complete WC chamber/ 12 deg lumi
region or some limited number of points?
It would be quite difficult to get the field measuring device we used during the setup
of the detector. Using a simpler and smaller device is preferred by Yorck.
We will discuss the options with Yorck on  Friday.

I discussed the disassembly with the head of MEA some time ago. Since they will
be quite busy, he prefers to not to fix the dates for the crane work, but rather do
this when they have some spare time.
I think this is fine, since we are not under time pressure. The only time constraint I
know so far is that the target/vacuum system should be sent to MIT during the summer.
This shouldn't be a problem.  Do you have other constraints?

The component coordinators/group leader should let me know whether you will ship
our parts (detectors, electronics, cables, ....)  back.

Please let me know if you have comments. As Douglas mentioned yesterday, we
will have a first discussion in the weekly meeting next Monday.

Best regards,
Uwe