[Olympus] rates in TOFs

Alexander Kiselev kisselev at mail.desy.de
Tue Aug 23 14:42:46 EDT 2011

  Dear colleagues,

  in addition to what you are discussing I'd yet consider to explore
this obvious option to increase the number of Fastbus crates (right now we
have 2). Actually if the necessary hardware was available, what were the
arguments *against* doing this?

  Installation of say two more crates would increase the effective readout
speed by a factor of almost 2, as we discussed today. This may be pretty
much important under many scenarios: push target density to the limit,
yet maintaining reasonable dead time; allow smaller prescaling factors for
inclusive triggers (they will indeed be dirty, while probably only
ep-elastic events from these triggers can be used for trigger efficiency
studies; so higher on-tape counting rate of these triggers is very
desirable); just to always work with say a factor of 2 smaller dead time
would also be a good motivation.

  I checked in the East Hall storage room today, we have indeed a plenty
of crates and spare power supplies. The SFIs, I recall we used at least
one, are unfortunately gone. If this topic is of interest, I could ask
HERMES colleagues, whether we could find and borrow the module(s) for a
year or so. There also must be other places where this hardware can be found?

  Regards,
    Alexander.