[Olympus] Background situation at DORIS

frullani@iss.infn.it frullani at iss.infn.it
Mon Oct 11 19:06:21 EDT 2010

Dear Frank,
thank you for the information.
One comment and one request.
Comment: if measurements are taken with different detector systems (in the
photo a rather big volume ionization chamber in position D is shown and
you mention also TLD that are usually much more small) and in the area
there is a large radiation field gradient we could have difficulties in
interpreting the measurements. Our problem is radiation field in a small
area (the size of electronics chips) and we need information of the
highest possible field during normal condition operation mediated in
volumes of this size.
Question: have the measurements been taken for a long enough period to be
considered representative of a normal operation situation ? Have been in
that period some beam losts and other possible peculiar but normally
occurring  situations that are at origin of higher radiation field?
In conclusion if we are confident that 10 or 100 Gray/day is a
representative number we can start to think with this numbers in mind a
consider a 3 months period. If not, with possibility that these number
must be revisited going significatively higher or lower, we have to
investigate the problem of measurements more deeply.
This is all for the moment.
Have a good day of work, and not only ..
Salvatore