[Olympus] Latest news from Hamburg

Richard G Milner milner at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 23 15:08:01 EST 2010

Dear OLYMPUS colleagues,
I forward you a status report received from Frank Brinker to-day.  It is clear
we have made considerable progress in realizing our experiment in the past
year.  This is due to the great efforts of many in our collaboration.  It puts
us in a strong position to meet the challenges of 2011.  I wish you a pleasant
and relaxing holiday season.  I look forward to meeting in Hamburg in January.
with best regards,
Richard

----- Forwarded message from frank.brinker at desy.de -----
    Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:49:55 +0100
    From: "Brinker, Frank" <frank.brinker at desy.de>
 Subject: [Olympus-leaders] last news from Hamburg
      To: "Schneekloth, Uwe" <uwe.schneekloth at desy.de>, olympus-leaders at mit.edu

Dear colleagues,
Just before Christmas the shutdown at DORIS is in a good shape. The
shielding has been  removed and partly build up again.
The magnets, cavities and vacuum system at the IP disappeared and the
cavities are installed at their new position. The optimistic goal to
install the quads at their new position and close the vacuum on both
sides before Christmas could not be reached - this will happen in the
first days of the new year. The Olympus vacuum parts are here and
engineers from MIT  assembled them last week in larger units which were
successfully tested together with the DESY vacuum group.

Two nice results came in just right to X-mas:
In the last week of running a colleague from HASYLAB measured spectra at
the undulator beamline of DORIS, which showed a nice resonance peak. The
photon energy of this peak is proportional to the square of the beam
energy. Therefore we are able to detect changes of the beam energy. We
have to repeat this measurements at 2.0 GeV - but I'm optimistic that we
can detect energy changes in the order of 0.1%. This is of course only
an estimation - we have to investigate that in detail next year.

This morning I could observe that the colleagues from LINAC and DESY
successfully accelerated electrons in the Linac, PIA and DESY with not
perfect but rather good efficiency. I should mention that they started
just yesterday morning when PETRA finished its operation.

I wish you happy Christmas days and a happy ( and exciting ) New Year

Cheers,
Frank