[Olympus] SlowControl

Alexander Winnebeck winnebeck at hiskp.uni-bonn.de
Wed Apr 14 04:30:29 EDT 2010

Dear Anton,

your concept for the HV data bases looks fine. For the SetOn and
SetCurrent tables it would be good, if the storing is not time driven
but event driven, i.e. only on changes these tables are stored.
The real voltages and currents should be monitored with a fixed
frequency, maybe once every 5 minutes. This would last in approximately
30 MB/year per table (if I'm not totally mistaken), which is fairly easy
to handle I guess. Is it possible to have a button to force the readout
of the HV voltages and currents, so that you don't need to wait some
minutes if you want to see something?
A StatusHV table is a good idea. The corresponding readout might be
relatively fast, i.e. at least once per minute, so that one can see
quickly if a HV channel is tripped. The storing of the readout values
should be done only on changes not to inflate the data base.

What do you think about it? I guess you have a concept for all this already.

@ John: I wonder if you mix up two things here. There is the slowcontrol
and the online monitoring. The slowcontrol will control the HVs,
temperatures, flows, machine parameters etc. and the online monitoring
will evaluate the incoming data from the detectors, i.e. showing TDC and
ADC spectra, count rates, hit distributions etc.
To have an offline matching of sc data and the data of the detectors, we
might have a table in the sc with the time of begin and end of run with
the run number, or the unix time is stored in every event in the data
stream.

Best regards,

Alexander