[Olympus] OLYMPUS main tracker upgrade

frullani@iss.infn.it frullani at iss.infn.it
Thu Sep 17 04:13:26 EDT 2009

Dear All,
following Alexander mail, as far as the cost of the electronic readout for
GEM I do not see a big problem in doubling the channels of the GEM
tracker, if we have two planes in each arm (of course if the electronics
we are developing in Rome will be used).
The Jlab project on which we are working (both for chambers and
electronics production) and that it is already funded by INFN foresees
about 50.000 channels (+ spare) for electronics. If we double the number
of GEM tracker channels (1300 -> 2600) and we add the GEM luminosity
channels (2000) we are at 1/10 of the channels of the JLAB's SBS (Super
Bite Spectrometer) request (in a 10**38 cm-2s-1 luminosity environment).
This is a reasonable number for a test experiment as OLYMPUS could be
presented respect to INFN as far as regard the money contribution of INFN.
If needed, more information when I will be back in Rome next week.
Regards. Salvatore