[Olympus] OLYMPUS status

Richard G Milner milner at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 22 13:46:44 EDT 2008

Dear OLYMPUS colleagues,
This is a short note to provide a report on the consideration of our propos=
al at
the DESY PRC meeting at the beginning of this month. I attach the presentat=
ion
from the PRC to the DESY Extended Scientific Council of last week.  The last
two slides describe the conclusions on the OLYMPUS experiment.  I do not th=
ink
that there could have been a better outcome. I expect to receive a formal
letter from DESY shortly stating that OLYMPUS will be approved subject to t=
he
necessary funding becoming available.  You should all take satisfaction in =
this
significant achievement.
Now we focus on arranging the funding for the experiment. Here in the U.S.,=
 we
have been in contact with DOE and NSF. Funding requests will be submitted in
the near future for both equipment and running costs.  I know that our Germ=
an
colleagues are working on their funding requests which are due on December =
1st.
 Discussions with DESY on operating and running costs are in progress. It i=
s a
priority to establsih a realistic financial basis for carrying out the OLYM=
PUS
experiment which satisfies DESY.  I expect to be in contact with group lead=
ers
on this issue in the near future.
with best regards,
Richard