[mosh-users] How can I mosh over multiple hops (for example, via tunnel or ProxyCommand)?

Mark Stillwell marklee at fortawesome.org
Fri Mar 28 11:04:15 EDT 2014

> 1. Use a UDP packet repeater.
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/390916/mosh-tunnel-via-proxy
> suggests stone. I'm wondering whether socat or netcat could be
> used as well. But such a tool needs to be installed on the
> gateway. So, I'm suggesting a second solution:

I've tried this with both socat and stone, using one of these tools to go
from udp to tcp, then forwarding the tcp connection with ssh, then
translating back from tcp to udp on the other side of the connection. It
works great for 10-15 seconds, then mosh invariably freezes up and starts
to complain about tampering.

Based on debug output from stone, I think that mosh tries to send some udp
packets that are too big to fit into a single tcp packet within the ssh
tunnel, and somehow when ssh puts everything back together on the other end
it must not do it perfectly, triggering mosh's alarm bells.

--
Mark Lee Stillwell
marklee at fortawesome.org