[mosh-users] Mosh-1.2.4 compilation issues on OpenBSD 5.3 (missing pselect)

Damon Getsman damo.gets at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 19:48:00 EDT 2013

Hello, everybody.  I just dug through the archives looking to see if there
might have been any workaround to this, but I haven't seen anything.  The
mosh website says that there is an OpenBSD pre-compiled package available
for mosh, but I guess that must've been a few versions ago, as I haven't
seen anything in the 5.x repositories as far as mosh, nor in the ports
directories.

So anyway, I took it upon myself to compile things from scratch.
 Everything went well up until ::pselect() was undeclared.  Here's the
exact compiler error:

contract:/usr/src/mosh-1.2.4$ make
make  all-recursive
Making all in src
Making all in protobufs
make  all-am
Making all in util
  CXX    select.o
In file included from select.cc:33:
select.h: In member function 'int Select::select(int)':
select.h:139: error: '::pselect' has not been declared
*** Error 1 in src/util (Makefile:288 'select.o': @echo "  CXX   "
select.o;g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..     -Wall  -fno-strict-overflow
...)
*** Error 1 in src (Makefile:296 'all-recursive')
*** Error 1 in . (Makefile:337 'all-recursive')
*** Error 1 in /usr/src/mosh-1.2.4 (Makefile:255 'all')

Anyway, I've found a couple of potential workarounds.  First, there is one
found at
http://openbsd.7691.n7.nabble.com/PATCH-net-mosh-and-pselect-td227394.html ;
unfortunately, this appears to apply to a version of mosh found in an
OpenBSD that has mosh in /usr/ports, which my 5.3 system most certainly
does not.

Second, I did find raw source code for a pselect() function, but I'm not
really sure if it's going to be compatible with what this particular
application is going to use it for, it's been awhile since I worked with
C/C++.  I found that at
ftp://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/src/usr.sbin/nsd/compat/pselect.c ,
but it was provided as a pselect() for 'nsd', not for any generic package.

Anyway, any help that you guys could point me to or suggestions you can
offer would very much be appreciated.  Mosh rocks and I really want to have
it on my only externally-facing system (the BSD one).  Thanks in advance!

-Damon Getsman