[mosh-users] status of UDP hole-punching?

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 30 14:09:00 EDT 2012

Hello Thomas,

It is still on our radar, but I can't give you a definite timescale.
(I assume we're talking here about having the _server_ be behind a
NAT. Having the client behind a NAT works fine.) Somebody has
suggested that for full-cone NATs, the server really just needs to
punch through _once_ and it will continue to work as the client roams
(as long as the server keeps sending packets), which if true makes the
problem a lot easier!

My best recommendation for now is to do whatever you do for SSH. If
you forward port 22 to your server for SSH, you will need to forward
UDP ports 60000-(something higher) for Mosh as well.

Best regards,
Keith