[mosh-users] can the required UDP port be tunnelled

Sitaram Chamarty sitaramc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:20:01 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Andrew Mason
<andrew.mason at digicom.net.au> wrote:

>> I'd like to use mosh in an environment where I am allowed only the ssh
>> port into the box.  No other ports, TCP or UDP, are open.
> Doesn't that defeat the point of using UDP if you have to tunnel in TCP
> packets ?

If you're talking about efficiency, yes.  But you wouldn't use this
mode for everyone; only people whose sshd was behind very restrictive
firewalls.

I thought of it like this: what *is* the point of using UDP in this
case?  You just want to send a packet off and you you don't want to
care if it reached.  Well, I'm no networking programmer but I imagine
you *could* do it with TCP, although the code would probably be much
longer and cruftier, involving non-blocking send and handling errors
like EAGAIN etc., to back out gracefully  (I'm guessing a little
here...)

----

I'd love to use mosh, but other than play with it on my own lan, I
can't actually use mosh where I *need* it.

Of course, it is also possible that I am in a minority and most
servers allowing inbound ssh also allow (some/arbitrary) UDP in/out
:-)