[mosh-users] issues with PATH on ubuntu

David Moore dmoore at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 10 21:01:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to set up mosh on an Ubuntu 10.04 machine to which I don't
have root access. I compiled mosh from git and installed it and its
dependencies under my home directory, i.e. with prefix ~/local/ so
mosh-server is at ~/local/bin/mosh-server. My .bashrc thus contains
entries updating the appropriate paths:

export PATH="${PATH}:/home/dmoore/local/bin/"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}:/home/dmoore/local/lib/pkgconfig"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/home/dmoore/local/lib/"

and I can log in and run mosh-server directly from the shell. However,
when I try using "mosh" to connect to the machine, I get the error

bash: mosh-server: command not found
Connection to patmos.banatao.berkeley.edu closed.
/usr/bin/mosh: Did not find mosh server startup message.

If I try specifying the server location on the command line ("mosh
--mosh-server=/home/dmoore/local/bin/mosh-server dmoore at server"), then
I get

/home/dmoore/local/bin/mosh-server: error while loading shared
libraries: libprotobuf.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
Connection to patmos.banatao.berkeley.edu closed.
/usr/bin/mosh: Did not find mosh server startup message.

which indicates that it's not using the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I
tested this by running "mosh --server='echo $PATH' dmoore at server",
which shows that mosh is seeing the PATH as
"/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games";
i.e. it doesn't seem to be running the commands in my .bashrc file and
so it's not seeing the updated path to the local installation.

Any advice on how to get mosh working when installed under a nonstandard path?

Thanks,
Dave