[mosh-users] Getting mosh working

Alexander Chernyakhovsky achernya at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 9 22:37:58 EDT 2012

HI Aldebert,

Minor follow-up, it appears yumdownloader has a "--resolve" option, which will additionally download all dependencies. I would recommend using this flag to get mosh in addition to all of its currently not installed dependencies.

Sincerely,
-Alex
________________________________
From: mosh-users-bounces at MIT.EDU [mosh-users-bounces at MIT.EDU] on behalf of Alexander Chernyakhovsky [achernya at MIT.EDU]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 10:22 PM
To: Adelbert Chang; mosh-users at mit.edu
Subject: Re: [mosh-users] Getting mosh working

Hi Aldebert,

I am the maintainer of the Fedora mosh packages. mosh is currently available for Fedora 15 and newer. The recommended way of installing mosh is "yum install mosh", but as you pointed out, this requires root privileges. However, since the binaries do not require root privileges, the following will install them into your home directory:
$ mkdir extractedRPMS
$ cd extractedRPMS
$ yumdownloader mosh
$ rpm2cpio mosh*.rpm | cpio -id

This will extract the mosh RPM into the folder "extractedRPMS", producing a full tree. The mosh binaries will be in extractedRPMs/usr/bin/. Provided that you have all of the necessary libraries installed on the server, the binaries will "just work" and you can invoke mosh with the --server=FULL/PATH/TO/mosh-sever to connect.

If you are missing libraries (such as libprotobuf, or libutempter) you can repeat the above procedure to download and extract those packages. However, if you do so, you will need to start mosh-server with an LD_LIBRARY_PATH that includes the newly-extracted libraries.

mosh was only recently pushed to stable, so if you encounter any issues using yumdownloader, please use the following direct links to download the appropriate package:
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/15/x86_64/mosh-1.1.1-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/16/x86_64/mosh-1.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/15/i386/mosh-1.1.1-1.fc15.i686.rpm
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/16/i386/mosh-1.1.1-1.fc16.i686.rpm