[mosh-devel] Mosh and 2FA

Alex Chernyakhovsky achernya at mit.edu
Mon Feb 5 09:08:45 EST 2024

HI folks,

2FA is usually (always?) used for authentication requests. Since mosh
leverages ssh, it automatically inherits ssh's 2FA configuration, if one
exists. I don't think it makes sense for mosh to add its own 2FA at some
sort of regular interval, as that would be easily bypassed by a user
patching this feature out and running a custom mosh. (mosh doesn't have a
privileged server-side component, it's just a normal user process).

If re-authentication is a concern, then you should limit the time of a
session being open server-side. An ssh session could hypothetically last
days/weeks too.

Sincerely,
-Alex