[mosh-devel] Introduction: Wolfgang E. Sanyer

Wolfgang E. Sanyer wolfgangesanyer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 15:36:56 EST 2022

El jue, 27 ene 2022 a la(s) 13:38, Keith Winstein (keithw at mit.edu) escribió:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 3:49 AM Wolfgang E. Sanyer <
> wolfgangesanyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Keith,
>>
>> Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for your detailed and thoughtful
>> response!
>>
>> I'm very thankful for the outline you've put together, as it gives me a
>> clear strategy for what needs to be done to move forward.
>>

> Awesome. And (I should have said this before), but I'd be happy to put a
> regular videochat on the calendar if that would be helpful to you and
> Alex/Ben/Quentin in keeping track of blockers and giving advice. That's not
> normally how we do things in FLOSS and maybe it's not necessary here, but
> if 30 minutes synchronous every week or two would be helpful, I'd be happy
> to commit to that.

I probably prefer to keep communications on the mailing list or on a github
issue/PR honestly.

> To answer your question "Are you interested in....or...any other part of
>> this process", my answer is "yes I'm interested in all of it".
>>
>> Let me summarize your email just to be sure I'm not missing anything:
>>
>> - Document the release process
>>     - this includes starting with a release candidate to allow for
>> broader testing
>> - "look over"/"scrutinize" any commits since the last release
>>     - I could use some clarity here: are you suggesting that I perform
>> this in isolation? Or use some github feature to perform a more formal code
>> review?
>>

> I think I would like you and Alex to tell me (and the rest of the
> community), "Yes, we've looked over the recent commits, it looks good to
> us, we don't see any buffer overflows, and [most importantly] we understand
> them well enough to say that we're going to stick around and be here to fix
> what needs fixing if the shit hits the fan after the release happens."
>
> What I didn't want to do was step back in after years away and cut a
> release lazily that has a bunch of cgull commits that I didn't review,
> don't understand, and hadn't put the effort into scrutinizing -- that
> seemed like a recipe for how we'd get our first real security hole.

I guess I'm still a bit confused about this - what's the process for
accepting patches into the main branch? Is there no scrutiny/review that is
done at that point?

Regarding buffer overflows, I can definitely look at running address
sanitizer on the latest commit, this should help catch such issues.

Regarding "we're going to stuck around and be here to fix what needs
fixing" - again, I'm a bit lost. The code is already in the main branch -
it's already "out there". By no means to I intend to drop a release and
disappear of the face of the planet, but I'm also not prepared to commit to
resolving any and all issues that come up at any time after the release.
That seems like a bit of a big ask.

What is a "cgull" commit?

> - Ensure oss-fuzz is _actually_ running against mosh
>>     - add fuzz targets as needed to cover commits since latest release
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Wolfgang E. Sanyer
>>

> Looks good to me. I'd love if you kept mosh-devel cc:ed on the
> conversation between you and Alex/Ben/Quentin, but I will leave it to you
> to work out a process with them for how you'd all like to get this done.
> (And if you want me involved for an occasional call, let me know.) Welcome
> again!

As I stated above, I'll try to keep all the conversations here or on the
github, so that there is a record of them.