[mosh-devel] make check failure on macOS 12

Carlo Cabrera carlo.cabrera at comworks-inc.com
Thu Aug 4 08:47:37 EDT 2022

Hi there,

I was testing out mosh from head (fe72a3e084f0d37ee18a719f0ecde4aeb8af10e8)
recently, and encountered an error with `make check`. I ran

    ./autogen.sh; ./configure; make check

I'm running macOS 12:

    ❯ sw_vers
    ProductName:    macOS
    ProductVersion: 12.2.1
    BuildVersion:   21D62
    ❯ uname -a
    Darwin summit.lan 21.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 21.3.0: Wed Jan  5 21:37:58 PST 2022; root:xnu-8019.80.24~20/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 arm64

The tests that failed were
- emulation-80th-column.test
- emulation-attributes-bce.test

I've attached the log for your reference. I've also attached a small patch I
used to silence spurious errors about parsing the version of tmux that I have
installed.

I attempted to do a `git bisect`, since I distinctly recall `make check`
succeeding for me from head not too long ago (i.e. in the past year), but I
couldn't find a recent non-failing commit. I would guess that this failure comes
from a change in one of the dependencies I'm using, but I haven't tried
building with older versions yet.

I built with protobuf 21.4 and ncurses 6.3, both installed with Homebrew.

Let me know if you'd like to investigate further and need more information.

Thanks,
Carlo