[mosh-devel] Defunct?

Keith Winstein keithw at mit.edu
Sat Oct 2 14:51:28 EDT 2021

Hi -- I am the original creator of Mosh and use it every day. I don't think
the project is defunct -- we are very proud of our essentially perfect
decade-long track record on security and feel like that record gets longer
every day as hundreds of thousands of people, or maybe millions, continue
to use it.

It's true that the GitHub issue tracker is clogged with feature requests
(some of which would involve protocol design work and a decision to support
something long-term) and support requests. That is sort of an annoying
thing about GitHub... It's also true that our maintainer committed code and
then became inactive; for security reasons, I don't want to just jump in
and release what we have without really taking the time to re-assume the
role of active maintainer and re-understand where we are, and it hasn't
seemed like there is a compelling need for that to happen. A rushed release
by somebody no-longer-familiar with the codebase *is* exactly the way we
would screw up our security story.

Re: Oracle Linux, this sounds like a packaging question. We have a package
for Fedora and EPEL but have never had an package maintainer for Oracle
Linux. If you would like to take over this role, we'd be happy to work with
you, but your relationship would need to be mostly with Oracle, not us. Or
if your complaint is about the EPEL package and you think that should work,
please work with the EPEL package maintainer.

You can see a longer note I wrote on this topic here:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28151637