[mosh-devel] mosh continuous fuzzing improvement suggestion

Keith Winstein keithw at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 24 22:36:29 EDT 2019

Hello Yevgeny,

Thanks for getting in touch. We were included in the oss-fuzz repository,
but I'm not sure anybody ever actually did the work of integrating Mosh or
fuzzing it. (People have separately fuzzed the terminal emulator and found
some overcautious assertions that we ended up removing; see
https://github.com/mobile-shell/mosh/issues/667 ). We certainly never heard
anything from them -- if we were supposed to do something on our end beyond
submitting the initial pull request to be included, we didn't do it.

If you want to fuzz Mosh, we'd love to help you. I think you probably want
to fuzz Mosh at several different layers, e.g.:

- raw datagram input
- network input after removing encryption and validation of the integrity
check
- network input after removing encryption, integrity validation, and
compression
- network input to the terminal emulator (e.g. arbitrary actions on the
CompleteTerminal object)
- user keyboard input

Best regards,
Keith