[mosh-devel] Termius + Mosh

Roman Kudiyarov roman at termius.com
Wed May 3 21:45:04 EDT 2017

Hi Keith!

On 2 May 2017 at 6:40:20 AM, Keith Winstein (keithw at cs.stanford.edu) wrote:

Thanks for letting us know!

(1) Could you please describe the process you used to develop a clean-room
implementation of the Mosh protocol? Did you write up a protocol
specification based on the Mosh source code, and then have somebody else
implement the spec? If so, would you be willing to share the protocol spec?

Writing the spec would be ideal scenario but we just used the original
source code to learn the protocol and developed our own implementation from
scratch using different set of libraries and frameworks.

(2) Is the source code of your implementation available?

We are not sure about making it open-source as we are going to use as our
competitive advantage and we’ve invested quite a lot of time to get to this
point.

(3) We've had bad experiences in the past with people (especially iSSH on
iOS) attempting to implement the Mosh protocol, but with imperfect results,
and users blaming Mosh for the problems. As with these past cases, please
don't refer to your implementation as "Mosh." Please refer to it as
"Termius mosh-compatible mode," with your own name first and
"mosh-compatible" instead of "Mosh".

Sure, no problem. We will make sure that it’s mentioned as
"mosh-compatible”.

Regards,
Keith