[mosh-devel] Semantic versioning and package versioning

john hood cgull at glup.org
Sun Jan 8 20:24:43 EST 2017

Hi Anders,

Apologies for the debian/changelog bugs, and thanks for fixing them.  I
should have tested that with package builds before pushing to GitHub. I
tried to fix it on Friday, but got hung up on how to represent
"1.3.0-rc2" as a Debian version, and ran out of time.  I think I
understand your change, but let me ask, since Debian package versioning
looks a bit like a black art from here:

* Does Debian packaging versioning depend solely on the Debian version
number, or is any info extracted from or checked against the upstream's
version?  Obviously, they *should* be correlated, for ease of use and
proper sorting, but I'm trying to understand how a Debian version number
may differ from the upstream's.

* Is the version naming in Mosh sensible and logical from a Debian point
of view?  I did assume that semantic versioning would fit OK with the
Debian worldview, but I didn't actually check that.   And does anybody
involved with other packaging systems want to comment?

regards,

   --jh