[mosh-devel] (fwd) Fw: Re: Mosh 1.2.6 release candidate available for testing]

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Tue Jun 7 15:56:47 EDT 2016

On 2016-Jun-07 10:15:28 -0400, Ryan Steinmetz <zi at freebsd.org> wrote:

>On (06/07/16 00:28), john hood wrote:
>>* Not a post-1.2.5 regression, neither 1.2.5 nor 1.2.4 will configure
>>automatically for me on FreeBSD 10.3 without the OpenSSL package.  (But
>>definitely still a wart.)
>>
>>* It sounds like Peter has found a decent solution for the port.  Is
>>that correct?
>
>If it works, it's functional.  I tend to view setting environment
>variables during complication time as a less-clean way of addressing an
>issue though.  I usually prefer that configure does the right thing or
>will do the right thing with an argument.

It's what the port does now and is the documented way to access the
crypto libraries if the pkg-config helper files aren't available.  The
only difference between 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 is that the variable names
have changed.

>>* Software should support both base and ports OpenSSL on FreeBSD, but
>>which is the preferred option?  (Obviously if private libcrypto+libssl
>>ever happens, ports will be the only option.)  Would sidestepping the
>>issue with Nettle be favored or not?

A number of ports have config options that allow the user to choose
between different crypto libraries at port build time, though it's up
to the port maintainer to select a default that is used by packages.
This approach is beneficial for the user if they have a specific need
to use one crypto library instead of another but significantly
increases the maintainer load because they need to check and support
more build combinations.

>I hate having two copies of openssl, kerberos or any other library
>installed on a system.  I try to avoid it if at all possible.

Likewise.

>Nettle just adds another unnecessary dependency--the system already has
>OpenSSL available.
>
>>(I am really rather tempted to switch configure's default for FreeBSD to
>>Nettle and say "Done.")

IMHO, the existing structure is OK and I'd prefer to reduce the number
of dependencies.

--
Peter Jeremy