[mosh-devel] Backspace into shell prompt bug

John Leuenhagen john at zlima12.com
Mon Aug 1 15:07:13 EDT 2016

Hello,

         I have been using mosh for a while now, and it really saves me
a lot of time and takes care of the frustration that comes with using
ssh over a slow connection. I thought that I would inform you of the one
quirk that I've experienced with it. It hardly impacts functionality,
but if you hold backspace to clear a line of text (specifically on the
shell), you are able to delete the entire prompt as well. I imagine this
would be due to the way mosh "displays now, updates later". I would
imagine that one way this could be eliminated would be by reading the
file that sets up the shell, such as .bashrc for bash, generating a
sample prompt string, matching it with that received over mosh, and
preventing it from being deleted. That's just an idea I came up with on
the fly though, so there's likely a better way to get the desired
result. I understand if it's too much work for such a small issue, so
don't sweat it if you're not up to it.

Thanks,

-John Leuenhagen