[mosh-devel] college student seeking guidance with regards to mosh client on iOS

Amanda Chan amandascchan at gmail.com
Mon May 18 01:35:23 EDT 2015

Hello!

I'm Amanda, a CS undergrad at the University of Waterloo. I've been really
wanting to write an mosh client for iOS for a while, and have been digging
through the source code, but getting confused. I have experience developing
iOS apps, and have some experience with C++,  but the mosh C++ source code
is really confusing me, and I don't know where else to look.

 I know that I have to write an Obj-C wrapper for the UI components, and
any functions that are called when a user inputs things, and for things
that are output to the screen, but in the C++, I'm having trouble figuring
out where those pieces are, or how the terminal emulator will look.

I'm not sure whether or not I need to roll out my own iOS terminal emulator
or if mosh has support for that, because I see a folder which has a bunch
of terminal related classes and functions, and terminaloverlay class, which
seems to handle input, but where is this called? Where is the code that
tells me what's supposed to happen when the user enters their credentials,
where is the code that tells you that the output is supposed to be, and how
it's presented?

So sorry for the bombardment of questions, just really not sure how to read
this, and looking for some guidance as to how to read the source code and
any advice for writing mosh clients for iOS. Sorry for asking some pretty
stupid questions, trying to find my way around this stuff and getting lost.

Thanks!
amanda chan