[mosh-devel] does mosh have a version-specific dependency on Google Protobuf?

Keith Winstein keithw at cs.stanford.edu
Fri May 15 01:44:22 EDT 2015

Good question!

We have a (small) crypto-focused test suite that gets run from "make check"
and as part of building the Debian/Ubuntu packages (and possibly
Fedora/EPEL?), but it doesn't test protocol interoperability among versions
of mosh that were compiled differently.

It would be great to do a rigorous test suite like this, but honestly I
think this is not where we're going to get in trouble (that Google will
introduce a breaking change into the protobuf wire format and we won't know
about it). I'm a lot more worried about screwing up the terminal emulation
(or the timeout semantics in SSP, which are a bit byzantine) than the
possibility that Google will screw us over on protobuf.

Our intention is that that any mosh-client since 0.96 (February 2012) and
any mosh-server since 1.0.9 (March 2012) can talk to each other and to the
most recent release and the Git tip.