[mosh-devel] --prefix of bash-completion? (wishlist?) Mosh 1.2.5 release candidate 2

john hood cgull at glup.org
Sun Jun 28 16:41:08 EDT 2015

On 6/28/15 4:07 PM, Anders Kaseorg wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015, john hood wrote:
>> Yes, on FreeBSD, it does.  That's not actually a good argument, but the
>> case of local installs (Stuckli's case) is a better one.  For example,
>> Homebrew uses this, though it doesn't have a bash-completion.pc
>> installed currently.
>>
>>   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/mobile-shell/HEAD --enable-completion
>
> My question remains: if there were a bash-completion.pc, what good would a
> /usr/local/Cellar/mobile-shell/HEAD/share/bash-completion/completions/mosh
> file do?
>
> Anders

In Homebrew's case, they build/install packages into $prefix, and then
symlink from there to conventional locations.  This allows them to have
multiple versions of a package installed, one (or none) of which is
visible on standard paths, and they each have properly-configured paths
for their internal needs.  I take it you're not a Homebrew user.  :)

There's at least two use cases I see:  1) user installs into home
directories, and 2) proprietary OSes (AIX, Solaris) that don't have a
definitive location for system-wide free-software installs (Homebrew is
a slightly weird extension of this case).  bash completion will likely
need extra work to be usable in either of these, but in both of these,
you do want your software to install in a location properly derived from
$prefix.

regards,

  --jh