[mosh-devel] carpal tunnel, measuring latency, and how to disable prediction testing

Frederik Eaton frederik at ofb.net
Fri Jul 10 14:47:55 EDT 2015

Hi Keith,

Sorry for being so slow to reply...

--predict=experimental works great.

I did a latency experiment using the tool you linked and found that
with this option, mosh latency is a little slower than just typing in
a local shell (2.5ms vs 0.5ms) but faster than ssh on a fast
connection (25ms). Without that option, in certain circumstances it is
consistently slower than ssh (40ms): in emacs, the latency is 40ms for
the first character and 2.5ms thereafter; in zsh, if RPS1 is set then
the latency is *always* 40ms, otherwise, only for the first character
(like emacs). With "experimental", always 2.5ms everywhere... I
definitely prefer the experimental option.

My CPU might be 800MHz or 1600MHz, in fact /proc/cpuinfo shows one of
each right now.

Thanks again,

Frederick