[mosh-devel] Lazy buffers?

Robert Redelmeier redelm at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 20 21:00:26 EDT 2015

 First, thanks y'all for your work on mosh!
Second, a suggestion for your consideration (_NOT_ a vile "feature request"):

Have you considered allowing send buffers to fill a bit before
sending?  Not sending ASAP, but often sending more than one char
per packet?  Of course this increases latency, but reduces packet
count _tremendously_ and data usage likewise since the payload is
tiny compared to overhead (incl ACK)..

Not sure how this would interact with SSP, but I hacked ssh to do
this 10+ years ago.  To minimize the latency when it would most
annoy, the buffer was released if a command was received or when
typing stopped for 300-600ms.  Commands were considered to be any
control-char or any duplicated char (likely to be cursor movement).

Of course, latency is sometimes noticeable but that is the price
of reduced transmission data.  Most of the time, I'm typing blind
anyways -- I'm not going to focus on the screen unless needed.
Sometimes the reductions were as large as 70%, more often 50%.

-- Robert in Houston