[mosh-devel] Great Software Opportunities: Get Paid to Learn RoR!

Nicholas Meyler nickm at wdsearch.com
Tue May 28 16:46:30 EDT 2013

Dear Dynamic and Savvy Software Engineers,

My outstanding client offers a rare and exciting opportunity to learn Ruby and Rails on the job. This is a well-funded small company (already profitable) working in the field of GIS "big data". They produce the nation's leading geographical/statistics software and are poised for excellent growth. This is a pre-IPO opportunity offering stock options and competitive salaries and will be located in the general Boston area. If you are hired for this position, you will become an ultimate Ruby on Rails expert and dramatically expand your programming skills.

They are looking for 1-2 year experienced BS and MS Computer Science graduates (exceptionally talented individuals still in school will be considered) with very good general coding skills, who may not necessarily know Ruby or Rails yet, but would jump at a chance to learn. The candidates should have prior web-based applications development experience and should have code samples that they can provide for evaluation. Ideal candidates would have experience coding in multiple languages, agile environments, Unix data-mining and familiarity with GIS (mapping) software.

There are also opportunities for more experienced RoR coders with some solid experience, but not much. Please feel free to submit resumes even if you have more than 2 years’ experience and want to dramatically sharpen your Ruby on Rails coding skills.

Lastly, they are also looking for a Lead RoR Coding expert who will have a ‘walks-on-water’ track-record.

Please submit resume to Nick Meyler at <nickm at wdsearch.com>;

Phone (818)597-3200 ext. 211

FORMAL DESCRIPTION:
Web Applications Developer (Ruby on Rails)

We are a fun and exciting Internet-based Big Data company looking to expand our team by
hiring two full-stack Web Applications Developers. This is an exceptional opportunity for skilled and self-starting Computer Science students or recent graduates to join our team and build unique, market-disrupting technologies, while mastering Ruby on Rails on the job in our small and growing, profitable, venture-backed company.

What You’ll Be Doing:

• Solving challenging problems working with massive datasets that include crime statistics,
schools, lifestyles, neighborhoods and more
• Working in an Agile, TDD environment writing code you can be proud of
• Keeping existing products up-to-date with the latest technologies, architectures, and standards
• Expanding your programming skills, and transforming into the ultimate Ruby on Rails expert

What’s In it For You?

• Significant potential to become a leading member of our development team.
• Casual fun working environment, solving some of the most exhilarating Big Data problems
in the industry, alongside a team that’s as passionate as you are about this stuff!
• Competitive salary, stock options for you to participate in company success, and great
benefits (401(k), 100% medical coverage, 11 paid holidays)
• Great work/life balance with 40-45 hour work weeks the norm for full time; 30-35 hours if
part time while in school!
• Long-term stability with a venture backed start up that is already profitable and growing
• Investors include the Founders of MapQuest and CoreLogic

Desired Skills & Experience:

• A BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or similar; MS preferred
• Experience with Web Applications Development, ideally in multiple languages
• Self-directed time management, documentation and communication skills
• To be passionate about your craft
• An ideal candidate would also possess:
     o Familiarity with GIS-related software, including spatial databases such as PostGIS and

        the Google Maps Javascript APIs
     o Knowledge of all aspects/tiers of web and mobile web app development
     o Strong Unix skills including API/data mining experience
     o Scaling and performance tuning of high-traffic, data-heavy sites

CURRENT POSITIONS OPEN:

3 potential opportunities:

1. Lead Rails Engineer (we still need a leading person, great top-notch RoR programmer).
2.Jr/Mid-level Rails Developer (some Rails experience, but not much, but a programmer with some solid experience)
3.Fresh BS or MS graduate w/ web applications development experience, who can learn RoR on the job.

Please send a resume and code sample to nickm at wdsearch.com

Best Regards,

Nicholas Meyler

GM/President, Technology