[mosh-devel] Libevent

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 14 09:15:25 EDT 2013

On 14.5.2013, at 15.42, Timo J. Rinne <tri at iki.fi> wrote:

> While browsing through some pull requests and other stuff, I started
> wondering why Mosh event loop is in the first place implemented from
> scratch.  I think it is a model case of a program that would be best
> implemented on top of a library that hides select/poll/epoll/whatnot
> logic once and for all.
>
> It might be a painful project to turn it that way at this point, but I'm
> sure that eventually it would be worth the effort.

mosh listens only on a couple of file descriptors and I don't think that's going to increase in future either? So I doubt it would make a noticeable difference in performance. Personally I don't much like external dependencies when there isn't a clear benefit. Also I don't know if libevent supports mosh's signal handling requirements of pselect().