[mosh-devel] JuiceSSH STPClient Resuming

Tom Maddox tom at sonelli.com
Sat Aug 3 13:34:26 EDT 2013

Hi,

We're currently beta testing MOSH integration with our Android SSH client,
JuiceSSH, of which the progress can be followed in our G+
community<https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/110428419162168502506>
.

One issue that has been raised so far is battery usage. Currently when
JuiceSSH has any active connections, there is a service running which holds
a device wake lock and polls the connections for failures. Seeing as Mosh
sessions should always be resumable, and as Keith pointed out, this
shouldn't be necessary in the case of Mosh.

Keith implied that he may be able to help us save the state of a
mosh-client process, allowing for it to be resumed in the future.

I've planned the majority of how to exclude Mosh sessions from wake locks
and connection polling, and I'm confident that we'll be able to catch the
point that the state should be saved and then finally I know how we could
implement an "if-process-not-running-attempt-resume"-esque session.

But the bit I'm not sure about is how to get the state, what form it will
be in, and then how to reuse it.

Having looked through the research paper and checking out the presentation,
it would appear that this functionality is not yet in place. If so, and
this functionality is new, then one solution I can think of would be the
ability to run "mosh-client <IP> <Port> --resume-from-state
[<State-Related-Params>|<State-File>]" to resume the process and perhaps a
certain kill signal could result in mosh-client printing it's state just
before it finishes.

Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated. We're both very excited
here about how convenient and nice this tool will be. As a couple of
SysAdmins that wrote JuiceSSH mostly during our commutes on trains, we
certainly appreciate the benefits!

Thanks and regards,
Tom

Tom Maddox