[mosh-devel] Mosh re-connections

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 28 04:05:15 EDT 2012

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your email. Mosh doesn't have a notion of "reconnection"
per se. The client sends datagrams at least every three seconds to the
server, with increasing sequence number. The server sends datagrams to
the client's "last known address." As far as the server is concerned,
the client's "last known address" is whatever source address was on
the highest-numbered authentic datagram it has received from the
client. That's the whole algorithm.

The main protection against eavesdropping or hijacking is the use of
authenticated encryption to protect the confidentiality and integrity
of each datagram end-to-end between the client and server. That same
protection applies whether there has been a long interruption in
connectivity (or a change of IP addresses) or not.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks again for your email.

Best regards,
Keith