[mosh-devel] mosh used for one-off commands and/or independent of ssh

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 2 20:58:01 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 02:19 +0200, Christoph von Stuckrad wrote:

> I think mosh may avoid many of the otherwise deadlocking situations
> by the the way it keeps the connection going. But as far as I understand
> mosh, it always keeps a representation of the 'terminal'(pty, screen)
> on each side and so always works like 'ssh -t' would. The use of pipes,
> like in 'ssh user at host command' without pty, may not exist in mosh.

Right. I don't think there exists any "dummy data stream" type of
input/output in mosh, only the terminal handling which isn't very useful
for scripting purposes.

mosh <host> <command> does work for me, but it also assumes that the
output goes to a terminal. For example:

# mosh host 'echo foo'|wc
      3      10     684

vs.

# ssh host 'echo foo'|wc
      1       1       4

> (In my opinion ssh without pty is mostly useless anyway, because it
> looses the distinction between stdout and stderr mixing them together).

It doesn't mix them (just verified).