[mosh-devel] mosh used for one-off commands and/or independent of ssh

Edward Peschko horos11 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 17:26:52 EDT 2012

All,

A bit of background.. We use ssh in the automation of processes,
mostly qa and testing and under a Expect harness, and ssh has the
unfortunate tendency to freeze and inopportune times, and is not all
that stable on cygwin.

Anyways, I've been using mosh on my development setup for about a
month and a half now, and have been pretty impressed with its
stability, so it hit me whether or not I could replace ssh with mosh
and get a large stability win. So I was wondering:

1. Is mosh available on cygwin?
2. Can mosh run without a sshd server, most preferably with a udp
server instead?
3. Can mosh run a standalone command, like ssh?
4. Has anybody tried #1 thru #3 with the use that I intend (namely
thru expect doing automation)?

Thanks much for any info - I realize that #2 is not that safe
security-wise, but since the boxes in question are throwaway vms, it
isn't too important to be really secure. Much more important is the
stability - as it stands, we spend a lot of time debugging the testing
harness rather than actual issues, and its my hunch that mosh could
help out a lot here.. Suggestions other than mosh are appreciated
too..

Ed