[mosh-devel] classification

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Fri May 25 20:56:30 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

I took your commit and put it on my master branch (now pushed), so
people should feel welcome to try that out. It will also be in the
mosh-dev daily Ubuntu PPA if anybody is brave enough to run that
(ppa:keithw/mosh-dev).

I have also deployed this commit on the server many people use at MIT,
so hopefully we will get some good testing over a variety of Internet
paths. I am a little concerned about whether ECT will pass
successfully over wide-area paths (given the FUD about ECN in
general), but I guess we just have to find out.

Do you think we are being bad citizens by advertising ECT but not
actually doing anything in response to the marking? Right now, the
only way to get Mosh to speed up or slow down the frame rate is to
change the SRTT. We do not respond to losses at all. We just aim to
send no more than one Instruction per SRTT/2 (i.e., have at most one
Instruction in flight at a time on average).

Best regards,
Keith