[mosh-devel] mosh 1.2.1 released

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Fri May 25 18:33:11 EDT 2012

Hello Mosh users and developers,

mosh 1.2.1 has been released.

The source code is at:
https://github.com/downloads/keithw/mosh/mosh-1.2.1.tar.gz

This release fixes a number of issues with mosh 1.2:

* Ignore nonsensical escape sequences. Timo Juhani Lindfors found that
mosh faithfully interprets even very large "repeat" counts in ANSI
escape sequences, allowing a malicious application to cause the
mosh-server to use a lot of CPU time trying to execute a short ANSI
escape sequence. The same sequences can allow a malicious mosh-server
to cause the mosh-client to use a lot of CPU time. Mosh 1.2.1 ignores
these large repeat counts. This issue has been tagged as
CVE-2012-2385.

* Improve performance on lossy links

* Give the user a helpful diagnostic when the link is dead in only one
 direction

* Use less CPU when link is down (Keegan McAllister)

* Use less memory when mosh-server is malicious.

* Fix a vttest regression re: wrapping and tabs.

* Enable a roundtrip verifier of terminal emulator correctness when
 the server is verbose.

* Remove skalibs as a dependency (Keegan McAllister)

* Remove use of poll() and the OS X poll workaround in favor of
 pselect(), which we think works everywhere (Keegan McAllister)

* Include a bash_completion file (ejeffrey)

* Include a firewall profile for UFW (Fumihito YOSHIDA)

* Warning on out-of-order/duplicated datagrams (or failed nonce increment).

* Clearer error message on invalid port number.

* Cleanups to quit scenario when firewalled.

===

mosh 1.2.1 is backwards-compatible with mosh clients back to 0.96 and
mosh servers back to 1.0.9. Please let us know of any problems
(https://github.com/keithw/mosh/issues).

Best regards from the Mosh team,
Keith