[mosh-devel] thoughts on mosh

Peter Eckersley pde-lists at eff.org
Wed May 16 14:07:44 EDT 2012

On 15 May 2012 13:34, Keith Winstein <keithw at mit.edu> wrote:

> If we went into the
> realm of root and raw sockets, as Hari says we really could make the
> packets look like TCP which could be pretty cool.

One thing to watch out for if you take this road is that a lot of NAT
routers make strong assumptions about the semantics of TCP.  Some consumer
NATS perform ACK forgery, retransmission of packets that were not
retransmitted by the endpoint, MSS modification, reordering of TCP options
(and other crazy stuff at the IP layer).  Doing TCP impersonation with a
different retransmission model underneath might require both plausible fake
TCP headers and tolerance for those headers being messed with in weird ways.