[mosh-devel] Mosh fixes

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 9 03:44:54 EST 2012

Hi all,

I pushed Anders's improvements to the startup script (which now lets
SSH connect via hostname so we can use existing SSH options, aliases,
etc.).

Doing it this way unfortunately took away the ability to have a
compound --server= argument (like --server="cd dir && ./mosh-server"),
but I think we can live with that for now. We can modify the
mosh-server binary to pick up SSH_CONNECTION if need be in the future.

I also fixed:

- The Cisco VPN problems (by turning off Path MTU discovery
completely; now if a link has MTU<1400 we will just end up with IP
fragmentation)

- The error handling problems found by Tibbetts (now it catches the
exceptions and prettyprints the error message)

I also committed a change that I am sort of divided on, where we only
show the predictive local echo in cases where the smoothed RTT is
either >60 ms OR there has recently been a "glitch" where a keystroke
took a long time to echo. (There is hysteresis so it doesn't flap on
and off too quickly.) But the rest of the time we just let the server
echoes show through; we maintain the predictions in the background in
case they are needed. This does reduce the rate of visible glitches
from prediction problems, but it causes the echoes no longer to be as
instantaneous and buttery smooth as I had grown fond of.

===

Christine, I think I am getting close to where this is ready to go
into Debian, with your help. Can you please advise on the best
workflow?

Right now I have Launchpad building a PPA for Ubuntu and grabbing
automatically from Github, which has all the packaging.
(https://github.com/keithw/mosh or
http://ppa.launchpad.net/keithw/mosh/ubuntu/). The repo has a
./build-package.sh that builds an Ubuntu package. What's the best way
to proceed while the software is still in flux?

Thanks much,
Keith