[mosh-devel] Elimination of GitHub "Downloads"

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 11 20:12:47 EST 2012

Hello GitHub,

Just wanted to offer some feedback that killing the Downloads section
without notice is causing us (mosh.mit.edu) some pain. We have some
Linux distro watchfiles that look at that location -- we're going to
have to get them all to switch to wherever we move to to host new
releases of Mosh. Some transition time here would have been much
appreciated.

Like most Unix software projects, we need to host binary blobs of the
Mosh releases, which have a ./configure and don't require autotools
(unlike the repository, which is for maintainers and requires
autotools to build). We wouldn't want to use a tag download of a .tgz
as our authoritative release because there's no reason to think the
sha256 will be stable.

Regards,
Keith