[mosh-devel] Please test mosh 1.2 release candidate

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Tue Apr 24 14:30:37 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:05:32AM -0400, Keith Winstein wrote:
> Thanks for all your hard work on mosh! We have a release candidate for
> mosh 1.2:
>
> https://github.com/downloads/keithw/mosh/mosh-1.1.95.tar.gz

I just tested the current git snapshot (calls itself 1.1.97) by
building it as .deb on Debian Unstable.

> Please test the release candidate on your systems (and package managers)
> and let us know of any problems.

One thing I noticed is that there were some error messages just before
mosh cleans the screen. Using "script -c 'mosh sym' bla" I captured them:

mosh-server: invalid option -- 'l'
Usage: mosh-server new [-s] [-i LOCALADDR] [-p PORT] [-c COLORS] [-- COMMAND...]

This happened with a mosh-server version 1.1.3 on Debian Stable on the
other side. Doesn't seem to be a bigger problem and may even be
expected (like checking for the version of mosh-server), but I thought
I'll better let you know.

In case this is really for checking for the mosh-server version on the
other side, maybe this message can be caught before it flickers on the
user's terminal, even if it's just for a very short moment.

> I'm particularly concerned that our binary hardening flags may
> conflict with those on some distributions -- we already had to
> override this on Ubuntu and I have heard reports that it may also be
> a problem on Arch Linux.

Compiled fine on Debian. hardening-check says:

/usr/bin/mosh-client:
 Position Independent Executable: yes
 Stack protected: yes
 Fortify Source functions: yes (some protected functions found)
 Read-only relocations: yes
 Immediate binding: yes
/usr/bin/mosh-server:
 Position Independent Executable: yes
 Stack protected: yes
 Fortify Source functions: yes (some protected functions found)
 Read-only relocations: yes
 Immediate binding: yes

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)