[mosh-devel] Mosh License

Cabel Sasser cabel at panic.com
Thu Apr 12 14:35:44 EDT 2012

Hi Keith,

First, an oops on my part — I thought Mosh was LGPL.

However, as it's straight up GPL, that means that we can't use any of your code unless we want to open source our entire commercial iOS app (we don't…), or we'd have to re-implement the entire protocol from scratch without using any of your code (which might be… challenging…)

Again, I totally accept that this is a "commercial enterprise" problem, and ours to handle. I suspect someone will create an open source Mosh client for iOS in due time!

Fortunately it's an easy answer for the growing number of requests we're getting each day — "Sorry, it's GPL!" — but I'll still hold out secret hope for some kind of license change miracle in the years to follow. :) Have you guys checked out this so-called MIT license? :)

Thanks for your fast response!

Best,
Cabel
Panic