[mosh-devel] Mosh License

Michael Rose mirose at mymail.mines.edu
Wed Apr 11 02:28:42 EDT 2012

Is there any reason Mosh isn't under the MIT license?

As far as I know, you currently cannot put GPL'd code on the AppStore.
The GPL states, "You may not impose any further restrictions on the
recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein."

The AppStore terms of use states, "You acknowledge that Products
contain security technology that limits your usage of Products to the
following applicable Usage Rules, and, whether or not Products are
limited by security technology, you agree to use Products in
compliance with the applicable Usage Rules."

Given that the AppStore imposes additional restrictions on top of the
code distributed through it, the two policies appear to be in
conflict. I'm not a lawyer by any means, but if the GPL is to be
followed to the letter (if not the spirit) I doubt these are
compatible. I have my suspicions that this is ignored more than it is
followed.

Technically, you *could* include Mosh as a dylib (and distribute via
Cydia) which would allow this arms-length separation. The only people
who would benefit from this would be jailbroken iOS users; AppStore
policies require everything to be statically linked even if the
licenses mixed.

Without writing your own Mosh port or Mosh adopting dual licenses, I
believe it's infeasible unless someone else has any other ideas.

Michael