[mosh-devel] Lightning Talk in German about Mosh and AutoSSH

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Mon Apr 9 20:59:05 EDT 2012

Hi,

JFYI: I gave a lightning talk (10min + questions) in German about SSH
and unreliable network connections yesterday at Chaos Computer Club's
annual Easterhegg event:

https://easterhegg.ch/lecture-ssh-ber-unzuverlssige-leitungen-lag-roaming-gsm-wackelige-wlans-und-hibernation

I presented AutoSSH and Mosh as possible tools to workaround those
network issues which are typically annoying to SSH users. There were
quite a lot of questions about mosh and I redirected those questions I
couldn't answer by mind to the new mosh brand-new website.

Unfortunately I hadn't yet read the SSP section of mosh's website when
preparing the talk, but I read it now and will mention it in future
talks.

The slides (S5/HTML) of the talk are available at
http://noone.org/talks/ssh-tricks/ssh-tricks-eh12.html

I likely give that talk again in two weeks at the local LUG and
possibly also at other events this year.

If wanted, I can post a short notice when I have slides in English
available, too.

Oh, and some anecdote from the talk: Of couse I tried to show the
output prediction, but the network was either too bad (WLAN, didn't
get an IP at all during preparing for the talk, worked fine during the
talk) or too good (LAN, everything worked fine). So during the
preparation I tried to artificially lower the bandwidth with trickle,
but even with values around 1 byte per second, typing was still
fluently so I suspect trickle's library preloading didn't really catch
mosh's network system calls. The only way I got some artificial lag
was using the iodine IP over DNS tunnel, but I didn't do that during
the talk. So I just presented how Mosh way more quickly reestablished
the connection after an IP change compared to AutoSSH.

So any hint on how to get some artificial bandwith or latency
limitation for mosh to show off the output predicition would be nice.
:-)

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe at noone.org (Mail+Jabber)