[MOS] 5/3 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Virtual Seminar with Aaron Lindenberg (Stanford)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Thu Apr 28 14:00:30 EDT 2022

There will be a virtual Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held next Tuesday, May 3 at 12pm. A short Q&A segment will immediately follow the conclusion of the seminar.

Zoom link: https://mit.zoom.us/j/98076834433?pwd=eTRIR2xOdDdHTFF0SmErcHFEclVyZz09
Password: 836631
__________________________

Aaron M. Lindenberg
Stanford University

“Exciton-driven dynamic symmetry changes and concerted lattice distortions in perovskite quantum dots”

A central problem in condensed matter physics is to understand the fundamental coupling mechanisms between electrons and ions and the emergent phenomena that arise from these microscopic interactions.  In this talk I will describe recent femtosecond-resolved electron scattering experiments probing the dynamic microscopic interactions between excitons and the lattice in a class of lead-halide hybrid perovskite quantum dots.   Understanding the origins of electron-phonon coupling in these materials is key to interpreting and leveraging their unique optoelectronic properties.  I will show how our measurements enable direct visualization and quantification of exciton-lattice coupling, leading to an ultrafast increase in symmetry through reduction in octahedral tilts.  We further demonstrate that the symmetry enhancing reorganizations induced by each exciton in a multi-excitonic state constructively interfere, giving rise to a coupling strength which scales quadratically with exciton number. This super-linear scaling induces phonon-mediated attractive interactions between excitons in lead halide perovskites and opens up new opportunities for controlling dynamic disorder in polymorphic structures.

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry