[MOS] Tomorrow 9/28 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Virtual Seminar with Akshay Rao (University of Cambridge)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Mon Sep 27 10:42:19 EDT 2021

There will be a virtual Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held tomorrow, September 28 at 12pm. A short Q&A segment will immediately follow the conclusion of the seminar.

Zoom link: https://mit.zoom.us/j/94453461927?pwd=am85Mnl1QUIySVJ6ZmpNN2RhN1RwZz09
Password: 847976

Akshay Rao
University of Cambridge (UK)

“Micro-spectroscopy in Energy Materials”

The pressing need to shift to a sustainable and zero-carbon economy has brought into focus the need to remake the worlds energy economy within the next 20-30 years. To achieve this, we need a new generation of materials for the generation, storage, transmission and the efficient use of energy. Unlike crystalline materials, such as Si, which have driven the ICT revolution of the past decades, these new energy materials often possess complex nanoscale structures, chemical, structural and energetic disorder, as well as dynamic interfaces. To unlock the transformational potential of these materials calls for new methodologies to elucidate the dynamics of excitations and transport processes on their native time and length scales. However, unlike in biology, fluorescence microscopy is most often not a viable tool to study these materials. In this talk, I will discuss our recent work to develop time-resolved absorption and scattering microscopy platforms to probe these materials. This now allows us to track species such as charges, excitons and polaritons, but also ions and phonons with a spatial precision below 10nm and with time-resolution below 10fs. I will discuss how this opens a new window into understanding the fundamentals of novel semiconductor materials, photocatalytic systems, thermoelectrics and battery electrodes.