[MOS] 10/26 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Virtual Seminar with Timothy Barnum (MIT - McGuire Group)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Wed Oct 20 12:45:20 EDT 2021

There will be a virtual Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held next Tuesday, October 26 at 12pm. A short Q&A segment will immediately follow the conclusion of the seminar.

Zoom link: https://mit.zoom.us/j/95335984313?pwd=SkZkWFppTlJ3VHEreG1NY1pvNVdPUT09
Password: 908422
__________________________

Timothy Barnum
MIT – McGuire Group

“Watching Molecules Fall to Pieces:
High-Resolution Spectroscopy of Highly Energized Molecules”

[cid:image001.png at 01D7C5B0.57336160]

Molecules with high internal energy (AB*) can undergo decay by ionization (AB++e–) or dissociation (A+B). With high-resolution chirped-pulse microwave spectroscopy, we can obtain detailed information about molecular structure that reveals the underlying decay mechanisms and provides insight into these fundamental chemical processes. In this talk, I will describe recent work on Rydberg states of nitric oxide (NO) – electronic states in which a single electron is excited to a high-energy, hydrogen-like orbital. We have made new measurements of the electric properties of the NO+ ion and developed a mechanistically explicit model for ionization of these unique Rydberg states. Based on these results, we propose a widely applicable method for generating molecular ions with well-determined internal energy for use in cold, controlled chemistry studies.

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry