[MOS] TODAY - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Virtual Seminar with Harold Linnartz (University of Leiden)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Tue Nov 16 09:23:36 EST 2021

There will be a virtual Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held today at 12pm. A short Q&A segment will immediately follow the conclusion of the seminar.

Zoom link: https://mit.zoom.us/j/96400532471?pwd=NEd6T0xoK3Myb3JEM1Nycm9jL2xkZz09
Password: 988113
__________________________

Harold Linnartz
University of Leiden (Netherlands)

“Molecular complexity in space: laboratory studies of diffuse and dense interstellar clouds”

We clearly live in a molecular universe. Wherever we look into space we find evidence of both gas phase and solid state molecules. Such species only can be identified following accurate spectroscopic laboratory data. At the same time astronomical spectra tell a story, about the chemical processes that take place in the inter- and circumstellar medium at conditions far from typical for Earthly settings. How are complex molecules formed in space ? And how complex is complex ? This talk will focus on a number of dedicated laboratory experiments that aim at unraveling the secret of the diffuse interstellar bands and to show how elemental sugars, alcohols, even amino acids can form in space.

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry