[MOS] Tomorrow 3/16 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Demetri Psaltis (EPFL Switzerland)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Mon Mar 15 14:58:15 EDT 2021

There will be a virtual Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held tomorrow, March 16 at 12pm. A Q&A segment will immediately follow the conclusion of the seminar.

Zoom link: https://mit.zoom.us/j/94618497712?pwd=YVdvaWhQRXJINXJVYWRKLzRtaURDZz09
Password: 522222
__________________________

Demetri Psaltis
École Polytechnique Fédéral de Lausanne (Switzerland)

“Optical Computing using Nonlinear Optical Propagation in Multi-Mode Fibers”

I will describe how a multimode fiber can function as a computational element when high energy pulses propagate though it. The nonlinear transformation of spatial information inserted at one end of the fiber yields a representation at the other end of the fiber that proves effective in the context of machine learning. We have implemented several learning tasks using this approach and obtained competitive accuracy compared with state-of-the-art deep neural networks but at a dramatically
better power consumption and/or speed.

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology