[MOS] 5/4 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Mari Saif (MIT - Bawendi Group)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Wed Apr 28 16:15:37 EDT 2021

There will be a virtual Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held next Tuesday, May 4 at 12pm. A Q&A segment will immediately follow the conclusion of the seminar.

Zoom link: https://mit.zoom.us/j/93500475311?pwd=cGdHbW03SVdlVnhwM1FCS0FCdkRHZz09
Password: 132663
__________________________

Mari Saif
MIT – Bawendi Group

“Monitoring chronic liver disease by near-infrared and shortwave-infrared imaging of autofluorescence from endogenous lipofuscin”

Monitoring the progression and regression of chronic liver disease, specifically from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) to non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and potentially to cirrhosis, is hindered by a lack of suitable non-invasive methods. Despite recent advances with liver elastography, which is capable of non-invasively estimating liver fibrosis, liver biopsy remains the gold standard in determining both necroinflammation and fibrosis stage in the clinic. We show that the endogenous pigment lipofuscin displays strong near-infrared (NIR) and shortwave-infrared (SWIR) fluorescence when excited at 808 nm, enabling label-free imaging of liver injury in mice and the discrimination of pathological processes from normal liver processes with high specificity and sensitivity. We demonstrate in vivo, ex vivo and tissue studies in mice models of CCl4-induced fibrosis, diet induced NAFLD and advanced stages of NAFLD in the fat-insulin receptor and insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor knockout (F-IR/IGFRKO) model. Following from the quantification of lipofuscin, we also delve into the use of computer vision methods to detect and remove lipofuscin from tissue samples based on the respective autofluorescence profile. This method can be extended to virtually removing lipofuscin in tissue samples used immunofluorescence studies, as a potential work around to technically challenging staining methods to hide lipofuscin autofluorescence.

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry