[MOS] Tomorrow - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Conor Evans

Michelle V Contos mcontos1 at mit.edu
Mon Feb 24 09:35:14 EST 2020

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held tomorrow, February 25th in 34-401A<http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=34> at 12pm

Conor Evans
Harvard University and Massachusetts General Hospital

“Pharmacokinetic Tomography: Imaging and Quantifying Drug Uptake with Advanced Microscopy Tools”

Coherent Raman scattering (CRS) imaging tools provide a label-free means to visualize specific molecules within tissue, making CRS methods well suited for solving challenges in drug development. We will present our efforts to leverage CRS tools to not only visualize the uptake of drugs within skin tissue, but also precisely quantify both pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. We leverage deep learning methods, specifically the use of convoluted neural networks, for accurate feature extraction to measure pharmacokinetics across numerous different skin compartments. Using single and multicomponent compartment models, we can analyze the CRS-derived data to calculate traditional PK parameters such as Tmax and Cmax on both the micro- and macroscale. These approaches have been validated and now tested on multiple drugs in a range of formulations, demonstrating how CRS imaging tools can reveal new, previously-inaccessible PK and PD information. This research seeks to link the microscale information gained via CRS microscopy to the macroscale measurements made in traditional PK/PD labs to understand drug flow, the impact of structure and formulation on diffusion, and how these parameters relate to drug efficacy.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar!

Michelle Contos
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry